This course is suitable for teaching assistants, Class teachers and SENDCos working with children aged 5-11years old. It provides information and strategies to develop the communication skills of all children,but especially those with speech, language and communication needs. Completion of this course will give you an externally verified and accredited level 2 or 3 qualification which is on the Qualifications and Curriculum Framework (QCF). You will therefore need to commit to completing a portfolio of homework tasks in order to complete the accreditation.
Elklan e-learning packs comprise four elements:
- The e-learning sessions – interactive modules, completed learner’s own time, on the Elklan website, one per week at a time to suit them (takes 1 hour)
- Participation in live weekly webinars with the Tutor. These webinars enhance the learning by enabling participants to ask the Tutor questions, stimulating discussion and the sharing of ideas with fellow learners, replicating the real value of face-to-face course through an online format
- The Learning Log, completed throughout the course in order to gain accreditation
- A copy of the e-book edition of Language Builders
Meet and Greet Session : Wednesday 12th January 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
A chance to meet the tutor and the other course participants, check the technology and explanation of the course format.
Session 1 : Wednesday 19th January 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
WHAT IS COMMUNICATION?
• Identify the processes involved in communication.
• Demonstrate the wide range of communication difficulties and the impact this has for the child.
Session 2 : 26th January 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
UNDERSTANDING NON-VERBAL COMMUNICATION, DEVELOPING LISTENING AND ATTENTION SKILLS
• Understand the power of non-verbal communication (NVC) and identify non-verbal behaviours.
• Explore strategies to support children with poor listening and attention.
Session 3 : Wednesday 2nd February 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
DEVELOPING MEMORY AND INDEPENDENT LEARNING
• Learn about making Mind Maps TM accessible to all.
• Learn new visual strategies to help pupils work independently in the classroom.
Session 4 : Wednesday 9th February 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
MODIFYING ADULTS’ SPEECH TO HELP A CHILD UNDERSTAND LANGUAGE
• Practise modifying the adult’s language through an understanding of information carrying words.
• Consider how to make activities harder/easier to ensure flexibility in meeting the needs of individual
Session 5 : Wednesday 16th February 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
UNDERSTANDING BEYOND SIMPLE SENTENCES
• Discuss supporting verbal reasoning skills, including why & how questions, inferences,sequencing, predicting and use a language scheme which supports the development of these skills.
• Practise modifying the adult’s language accordingly including the use of questioning.
Session 6 : Wednesday 2nd March 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
PROMOTING VOCABULARY DEVELOPMENT
• Understand how children learn new words.
• Develop a range of strategies to support the learning and retention of new words.
Session 7 : Wednesday 9th March 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
ENCOURAGING EXPRESSIVE LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT AND STORYTELLING SKILLS
• Discuss techniques to develop syntax (grammar) and narrative skills.
• Learn new ideas to support narrative development.
Session 8 : Wednesday 16th March 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
PROMOTING EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION AND SOCIAL SKILLS
• Reflect on the effects that interaction patterns between adults and children have on
• Develop active listening and support for children to speak out.
• Identify skills required for successful social skills and share ideas as to how to promote these.
Session 9 : Wednesday 23 March 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
SUPPORTING CHILDREN WITH UNCLEAR SPEECH AND EXPLORING THE LINK BETWEEN SPEECH, READING AND WRITING
• Identify the development of speech sounds.
• Discuss strategies to support children with unclear speech.
• Consider the link between speech, reading and writing.
• Review phonological awareness and the four main components.
Session 10 : Wednesday 30th March 2022 3.30pm – 4.30pm
MANAGEMENT OF STAMMERING AND OTHER ISSUES RAISED DURING THE COURSE
• Share ideas to support children who stammer.
• Present evidence of applying knowledge gained across the course during everyday classroom activities.
£249. This includes the access to the e-learning pack from Elklan, copy of the e-book Language Builders, marking of your learning log for accreditation, accreditation fee and certificate from the awarding body.
To book a place, please email Gill Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01904 726599