About this event
We are inviting schools who meet one or more of our eligibility criteria to this face-to-face event.
The booking process through eventbrite will collect the eligibility criteria we need. This information will not be shared with any other parties.
- lower than average percentage of pupils meeting the expected standard in the PSC; a higher than average proportion of children eligible for pupil premium (above 22.9%);
- Ofsted judgement of Requires Improvement or Inadequate;
- Opportunity Area Schools
- low attainment in the bottom 20% of children in reading across the school;
- a high proportion of groups considered hard to reach
- schools referred by local partners (e.g. NLEs, LAs, Opportunity Area teams).
Our face-to-face showcase will provide you with the opportunity to:
- Observe best quality practice systematic, synthetic phonics teaching.
- Observe 1:1 phonics interventions and other effective strategies for supporting your ‘bottom 20%’ of early readers ‘closing the phonic gaps’
- Provide you with practical guidance on how to organise your decodable books.
- Kelly Ashley, author of Word Power, will explore strategies to help learners make strong connections with words and language. Kelly Ashley (@kashleyenglish) will share ideas for ensuring vocabulary instruction in the primary classroom (ages 4-11) is purposeful and connected using principles outlined in her debut book, Word Power: Amplifying vocabulary instruction (2019). With the central theme of communication, this session aims to give teachers a range of practical tools to strengthen connections between new and known knowledge of words and the world. For more information about the Word Power approach, visit https://kellyashleyconsultancy.wordpress.com/.
- Take away practical ideas of how to embed a strong reading culture.
- Seek out further support from the English Hub including funding resource and SSP training. Potential funding of up to £6,000 per school to invest in resources or accredited SSP training. This may be fully-funded or match-funded depending upon the circumstances of your school.
We have funding to cover supply costs for a maximum of two people from each school attending at £80 per person. This will be released followed attendance at the open event and upon receipt of your school’s self-referral form.
For more information email, Yorkshire Endeavour English Hub Lead, at email@example.com. You can also visit our website: www.yeatenglishhub.co.uk